- Construct several laterally consistent balanced x-sections to form the framework for a 3D structural model.
- Build a 3D structural model in 3DMove that incorporates the surface geology, subsurface geology and relevant geology that has been eroded (the model will include the Mississippian – Upper Cretaceous).
- Restore the 3D model to answer the following questions
- What is the composite slip direction that explains the deformation? Can we define the minimum magnitude of the slip vector?
- Can all the deformation be explained with a single deformational event or does it require multiple events? If multiple events are needed, what are their slip directions and minimum vector magnitudes?
- Given the 3D geometries (e.g., shape of the 3D fault surfaces), how much northward dip post-dates the emplacement of the thrust sheets exposed in the study area?
- Outline at least one publication that will be written from the study and define post-seminar responsibilities for the publication(s).
- Each student will balance at least one x-section, build a 3D model and restore the 3D model.
Course syllabus: cross section priorities
- Western hanging wall and footwall ramps with Je syncline in the main thrust horse.
- Hangingwall, “mystery hill” in the main thrust horse and the southern thrust sheets.
- Hangingwall, the east fault cut-off of the main thrust horse and eastern exposure of the southern thrust sheets.
- East Pp limb of J and footwall cutoff of Kkg.
- West flank of Kk syncline, east side of Jm fishtail and very low angle footwall ramp.
- East end of Kk syncline, Kc footwall cutoff, full thickness of Kk in footwall.
- Jefferson River cut x-section.
- W-E line through center of Pp J and both flanks of Kk syncline. Mostly done in classroom from map and x-sections 1-6; some field checking.
- W-E line along main fault outcrop (down-plunge projection of map). Mostly done in classroom from map and x-sections 1-6; some field checking.
Optional x-sections if we have 12 students
- Eastern foothills (footwall only?).
- Northern flank of J-fold through Kkg hangingwall cutoff.
- West side of Jefferson River.
- Tie-in to Sappington measured stratigraphic section traverse.