During their affiliation with Indiana University, three people were most instrumental in the founding and development of the Indiana University Judson Mead Geologic Field Station, contributing greatly to its success. Charles Deiss, Charles J. Vitaliano, and Judson Mead provided the vision, spirit, and determination to build IUGFS into one of the foremost field stations in the country. Lee Suttner became involved in the program in 1959 as a student field assistant, began teaching after his graduation, and, eventually, became Director of the Field Station for many years. One of the most important innovations Lee made at the Field Station was the addition of graduate research seminars. These have attracted some of the most highly qualified graduate students from all over North America to the Station to work with outstanding researchers on field-based problems.