The Judson Mead Geologic Field Station is located on 60 acres at the confluence of the South Boulder River and Carmichael Creek in the north-central Tobacco Root Mountains. The location was chosen by Dr. Charles Deiss because of the extensive geologic history that is so well exposed in the surrounding area. The land was purchased by the Indiana University trustees in 1949 and construction of the initial facilities started that same year.
New facilities have been added and older facilities updated over the years. The most recent major building campaign was in 2012 when the Lee and Virginia Suttner Classroom and Geotechnology Building was built and several of the smaller dorms were remodeled.